Jun 9, 2014

The Highs & Hurts of the Helsinki Half

Sorry for the alliteration. I did want to incorporate "hell" into the title because in some ways it was a hell-ish race for me.  But I'll get to that in a moment.

First the positives. It was a well run race. I loved that I could do packet pick up the morning of the race. It didn't hurt that the race didn't start until 10:30am. It's not my ideal time for starting a race, but considering I arrived in Helsinki around 9:30pm and didn't get to my hotel until around 10pm, I was happy to sleep in and have a "lazy" morning. They had a lot of people on the course making sure you went the right way and groups of people cheering you along. That was very nice. And parts of the course were incredibly beautiful and scenic.


Now the not so great. The race started and instead of taking to the streets, we took to the sidewalks for the first mile. I'm not a fan of that. It turns the event into a large group run and not really a race, in my mind. We ran near the railroad tracks in what was one of the less scenic parts of the course both on the way out and on the way back in. The course snaked through a bike/running path. I'm not a fan of this because, invariably, other people - bikers, other runners, walkers - also use the path. It's my big pet peeve with the Zooma Annapolis. Towards the end, when we got back into the city, they cordoned off part of the sidewalk or running path so runners had it to themselves, but it's not idea in my mind.

But my biggest complaint was the medical tent, or lack there of.

I've been luck and have never needed aid after a run. But my hip has been acting up and during the race it was very painful. By the time I hit mile 10, I knew I wanted to stop at the medical/aid tent for some help: an ice pack, some ben-gay type substance, you get the picture. I crossed the finish line close to 2:37 after I started. There was no tent. I started hobbling looking for it and was told to go to the building. The finish and the building were probably about 750ft - 1000ft away.I went to the building and was told it was at the finish line. I went back to the finish line, where I was told it was near baggage claim. I went to baggage claim and saw a first aid sign, but saw baggage people, not first aid. I asked them and they said it was at the finish. You get to the picture.

By the time I limp my way back to the finish and ask yet another different staffer where the aid station is and am told it's back in the building, I almost have a breakdown. I start getting very bitchy and relate how I've been going back and forth and my leg hurts. By this time, the first guy in the building who told me it was out by the finish has appeared and they huddle and talk in Finnish as I'm in tears. They get a first aid lady to help me. She tells me I probably pulled something and I should sit down. She brings me inside and sits me down and leaves. I sit for about 5-7 mins, trying to stretch and trying to punch or rub the pain away. No go. I get fed up and start limping back to the hotel because I think at least there I can get ice on it. Lesson: never get injured at the Helsinki Half again.

I was supposed to run the Narva half this weekend, but that seems more and more unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment